Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2013

HST Attack!

I came across this Tutorial on how to get 8 Half Square Triangles (HSTs) out of 2 Fabric Squares. I adapted the Idea and made it 18 (!) HSTs. I used 7,5'' Squares and endet up with little 2'' HSTs! You could get 2,5'' ones if you started using a 9'' Piece to start with. If my calculation is right (and you should really check that, cause I am really bad in Math) you should get 3,5'' HSTs by using a 12'' Square.

Using this method you can just add squares and get even more finished HSTs. For example, if you divided the length by 4 (with a 12'' Square you'd have four 3'' elements in 4 Rows) you would get: 32 !!!! HSTs! WOWOWOWOW! Isn't that the coolest Method?

Imagine, you could use a very large piece and make larger Squares and get the Elements for a whole quilt-top in only one Sewing Session! Cool, huh? I'm going to try that someday with maybe 4 solids!

Before I do, I will finish my Walk in the Woods quilt. There's only one row left to be sewn and then I'll start quilting.

Enjoy this Tutorial.
Happy Crafting!



Here are my two 7,5'' Fabric squares, right sides together.




Next step would be drawing these lines. I divided 7,5 by 3 and got 2,5'' and this is where I drew the vertical and horizontal lines. After that I drew the HST Lines for each square like shown in the picture. These will be the line you will follow using a 1/4'' seam.


Sewing along the lines is really fun!


This is how the sewn piece looks like. I made two and am showing the black side to get a better view of the sewing!


Next thing you do is cut out the squares you drew in the beginning.


Now you have your Sewn HST Elemts that you just cut between the Sewing lines!


Here you go!


18 HST elements in only 10 Minutes. of course the pressing takes a little longer :-)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen